AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf GPIB analyzer source

Question asked by VRFuser on Feb 17, 2000
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2448.0"><TITLE>RE: vrf GPIB analyzer source</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>There is a hardware unit available from IOTech for this -</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> It is the ONLY one I know of sold .   It even records the commands for download or can trigger on certain Protocol events.  Don't have it but have one in the budget for this year. </FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Odd that the company that "invented" GPIB doesn't have a solution readily at hand and available. </FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> On an aside I have used a Tektronix 2430 Oscilloscope in GPIB monitor mode for this use.  If you have an old one around it make a substitute.  Worse part is it only monitors - NOT records the interaction.   However you CAN slow the bus traffic down with it and see the commands going over it. </FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Donald R. Simmons </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sr. Test Engineer</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Maxtor Corp.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>2040 Miller Drive</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Longmont, Colorado </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>80501</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>work  303 - 702 - 4112</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>efax to my email -> .   .    .     .   978-428-7752</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>fax - 2 day ->.   .    .   .    .   .   . 303-678-2165 </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>fax - for today, in my building -> 303678-2655</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>email: don_simmons@maxtor.com</FONT></P><BR><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Stan Bischof [<A HREF="mailto:rsb@sr.hp.com">mailto:rsb@sr.hp.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 10:31 AM</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: dd_besgrove@hotmail.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Cc: vrf@lvld.hp.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: Re: vrf GPIB analyzer</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>"dan besgrove" |dd_besgrove@hotmail.com> wrote:</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>  Does anyone know of </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> a 'box' that can sit between the PC and equipment that will monitor, show or </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> record the commands and/or data along the bus ?</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Sure- that's what I would dig out when all else fails.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>HPIB Bus Analyzers have one advantage over any of the software-based</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>monitors like that in VEE: they can watch for the hardware signals</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>also. At least problem I had to track down ended up being a hardware</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>signaling issue so no software-based monitor was able to find it.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>One I have used in the past was an HP product. Sorry don't know</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>the PN. In any case chances are many logic analyzers will have</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>a GPIB personality to do GPIB analysis.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>regards</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Stan  </FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>----------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Stan Bischof  Agilent Technologies       707-577-3994    rsb@sr.hp.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>----------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>This is the "vrf" maillist, managed by Majordomo.  To send messages to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>this maillist, just email to "vrf@lvld.hp.com".  Subscriptions and</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>unsubscriptions are done through the address "vrf-request@lvld.hp.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>If you need details, just send a message containing the text "help"</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>to "vrf-request@lvld.hp.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT></P></BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes