AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf 4.0 to 6.0

Question asked by jcmartin on Nov 22, 2000
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12"><TITLE>RE: vrf 4.0 to 6.0</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>Maybe is not related to this topic, however I think it could be interesting.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I use to name Global variables in different way:</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>where xxxx is the variable name</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>G_xxxx  . These kind of variables are global to all the program/application.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>GL_xxxx . These kind of variables are global to the library where they are declared.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>L_xxxx  . These kind of variables are local to the context (UF/UO) where they are declared.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>In that way it is very easy at first sight to know what variable is global, global to library or local. I use that rule in all my programs and it is very useful. If I do not remember one of them and I try to read it again, I can understand easier the code function.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>In such a way, it would not be possible to have the same name with undocumented functions, for example.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Regards,</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>> -----Mensaje original-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> De: B Aufenanger [<A HREF="mailto:aufenanger@somatec.de">mailto:aufenanger@somatec.de</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Enviado el: mircoles 22 de noviembre de 2000 16:12</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Para: VEE Usergroup (E-Mail)</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Asunto: RE: vrf 4.0 to 6.0</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Hi Rich,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> i is an undocumented function in VEE. I don't really know </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> what it does.I</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> will include an easy example on i. The error message says: A build-in</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Function named "I" already exists. There are described functions :</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> - I0 : hyperbolic Bessel function of X of the first kind of </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> order zero  </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> - I1 : hyperbolic Bessel function of X of the first kind of order one</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> - J  : Complex number with x as the imaginary part</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> - J0: Bessel function of X of the first kind of order zero</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> - J1: Bessel function of X of the first kind of order one</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> - Jn: Bessel function of X of the first kind of order 'n'</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> - K0: modified (hyperbolic) Bessel function of X of the </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> second kind of order</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> zero</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> - K0: modified (hyperbolic) Bessel function of X of the </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> second kind of order</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> one</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> The use of Variable k is possible. I hope that helps. Any use </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> of a function</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> name as a global variable will cause the same problem. In VEE </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> 4.0 that was</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> no problem at all.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Best regards</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Barbara Aufenanger</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> ------------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Somatec B. Aufenanger & M. Bernhardt</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Jagdweg 7a</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> D-82041 Deisenhofen</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Telefon       : (089) 613 984 91</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Fax.                  : (089) 613 981 23</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Email         : <A HREF="mailto:Aufenanger@somatec.de">mailto:Aufenanger@somatec.de</A></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> homepage      : <A HREF="http://www.somatec.com/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.somatec.com/</A></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> ------------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> -----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> From: Richard Kleinhenz [<A HREF="mailto:scubaman@us.ibm.com">mailto:scubaman@us.ibm.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 2:21 PM</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> To: B Aufenanger</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Cc: VEE Usergroup (E-Mail)</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Subject: RE: vrf 4.0 to 6.0</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Could you expand on the (potential) problems with using I or </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> J as variable</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> names in 6.0?</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> --</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Regards,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Rich</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> ================</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Richard Kleinhenz</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> tieline 8-532-2617</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> ================</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> B Aufenanger |aufenanger@somatec.de>@lvld.agilent.com on 11/22/2000</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> 05:00:19 AM</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Sent by:  owner-vrf@lvld.agilent.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> To:   "VEE Usergroup (E-Mail)" |vrf@lvld.agilent.com></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> cc:</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Subject:  RE: vrf 4.0 to 6.0</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Dear Bill,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> take care that you name your global variables correctly. </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Variable names</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> like</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> I or j will cause errors. For DLL calls the header files have to be</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> changed.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Reading dates from string sometimes cause some errors.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Best regards</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> B. Aufenanger</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT></P></BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes